Member of Parliament for Clwyd South, Simon Baynes MP, has welcomed the announcement today that Wrexham County Borough Council will continue to be led by a cross-party coalition of Independent and Welsh Conservative Councillors.
The announcement follows the local elections held last week on Wednesday 5th May, in which the newly merged Independent Group won 21 seats of the 56 seats available, and the Welsh Conservatives increased their Councillors from 8 to 9.
Councillor Mark Pritchard, Leader of the Independent Group, and Councillor Hugh Jones, Leader of the Conservative Group said:
“We are pleased to have reached a workable agreement to run the Council for the next 5 years and we will continue to build on our success. We will work tirelessly to address the many concerns which have been raised from our communities across the whole County Borough.”
“We will continue to work with all Elected Members, all Groups and Community Councils for the benefit of the residents of Wrexham County Borough”.
Simon Baynes MP for Clwyd South said:
“I am very pleased that the Independent and Welsh Conservative groups have agreed to continue to work together in the best interests of all Clwyd South and Wrexham County Borough residents. As the coalition’s statement today says, this is an exciting time for Wrexham county with major investment projects like the World Heritage Site, Wrexham Gateway, the National Museum of Football and Wrexham AFC’s aspirations to reach the football league and a purpose built 5,500 seated stand with prospects for international football returning to Wrexham.”
Over the last 5 years, the Independent and Welsh Conservative Councillors have worked exceptionally well together and, as the MP for Clwyd South, I have found working with them a highly rewarding experience which culminated in our successful Levelling Up Fund bid worth £13.3m of investment by the UK government in Clwyd South. I am therefore very pleased to know that the Council’s leadership is in safe and experienced hands for the next five years.”